Section 128: Checks And DBS for Independent Schools
Safeguarding is fundamental in education. DBS checks ensure that children are protected and kept safe. Whether working in a state or independent school, DBS checks are mandatory. State schools get their funding directly from the government and are free to attend; however, independent schools charge annual attendance fees. Independent schools include –
- Public schools
- Boarding schools
- SEN schools
- Preparatory schools
State and independent should both ensure that all teachers and staff who work with children have the required DBS checks in place.
What Is A Section 128 Check?
A section 128 checks that individuals haven’t been barred from the management of independent schools (this includes both free schools and academies). This is under direction from the government.
Who Needs To Apply For A Section 128?
Anyone who works as a manager or supervisor within a school is eligible for a Section 128 check, including the following positions:
- Senior teachers
What Is The Purpose of A Section 128 Check?
Section 128 checks the names of individuals barred from any independent school’s management. It is done under the direction of the Secretary of State For Education. A Section 128 applies when the conduct of an individual or convictions in their name prove that they are not suited to a management position within a school. The grounds for a Section 128 include:
- If a person is in breach of the professional standards by a professional body
- Whether they are found guilty of an offence with a plea of insanity
- If they have been convicted of a military disciplinary offence.
What Does A Section 128 Check Show?
A section 128 checks to make sure that individuals who have been banned from managing an independent school are not hired for the job.
Applying For A Section 128
To apply for a Section 128, there are two main ways:
- For roles that are not considered to be a regulated activity, a Section 128 must be processed through the NCTL Secure Access. No teacher number is needed to apply via this route.
- For roles that are considered to be a regulated activity, the Section 128 check can be done using the NCTL Secure Access or through a DBS Check application that includes “Independent School” in the position field that is next to the job role. E.g. ‘deputy headteacher, independent school’.
How Can We Help Independent Schools?
We provide DBS checks for Independent Schools. We can help Independent Schools by streamlining all of their DBS check applications. If required, we can also help with Section 128 requests. There is no additional fee for a Section 128 as it is included as part of an enhanced DBS check and is enclosed within the application results.
If you’d like to find out more about Section 128s and independent schools or ask any other questions regarding DBS checks, contact one of our expert advisors today.