How To Replace A Lost DBS Certificate
Don’t panic if you’ve lost your DBS certificate. You can obtain a replacement.
In fact, it’s one of the most common queries we get – people asking whether they can get a new copy of their DBS certificate to replace a lost one.
The simple answer is – yes, you can get a free replacement DBS certificate from the DBS, but only if you didn’t receive it and it was lost in the post.
If you have lost it after receiving it, then you may need to apply for a new one and pay the required fee.
Let’s take a more in-depth look at replacing a lost DBS certificate.
Criteria for getting a free DBS certificate replacement
If the following reasons apply, then you will not qualify for a free DBS certificate reprint:
- If the certificate has been misplaced, lost, or damaged or destroyed since being issued and received.
- If the certificate was issued over three months ago
- If a certificate reprint has already been issued and sent, but has not yet arrived in the post
The DBS may agree to issue a reprint of a DBS certificate if the following criteria applies:
- If the certificate was issued more than 14 days ago, but still has not been received in the post (the date can be checked through the DBS online tracking feature).
- If the certificate was issued less than 3 months ago and has still not arrived in the post.
- Your present address must be the same as the one provided on the original DBS application (if you have changed address since the application, you can request a mail redirection from the Royal Mail, as the address on the DBS certificate cannot be changed for a reprint).
How long does it take to receive a reprinted DBS certificate?
The processing time for a DBS replacement is up to 5 working days, so when you include delivery time, it usually takes between 7 to 10 working days to receive the reprinted copy, as long as there are no problems with the application.
How to request a reprinted copy of your DBS certificate
If 14 days have elapsed since the DBS certificate was issued, you can request a copy, either online or by phone. You can call the DBS directly on 0300 0200190 to request the reprint.
Please note that the DBS will never issue more than one replacement copy of an individual DBS certificate. You can request reprinted versions of basic, standard, or enhanced DBS checks.
The DBS update service
As well as offering a reprint service for DBS certificates that get lost in the postal system, the DBS also provides an update service which allows people to get a new DBS certificate when they change jobs.
The DBS update service allows individuals to keep their DBS check up-to-date without having to process another application. The individual pays an annual fee to the DBS and they can log in to the DBS online system which can also be shared with their employer. Both the employee and employer can check on the DBS status and any information held by the DBS.
Apply for online DBS checks here
If you want to apply for a DBS certificate online, find out more about DBS checks here. If you have any questions about applying for reprinted DBS certificates, or anything else DBS-related, get in touch with one of our expert advisors today.